Alone In The Wilderness is a video about Dick Proenneke in the Alaskan wilderness. Youtube has a few videos on this man, here’s another episode. What I liked about this is the “can do” attitude. Just do it, work hard and stick with it.
Lots and lots of news on the swine flu:
Forced quarantine (pdf) for swine flu victims is now being considered in multiple states.
As stated in the bill, upon declaration by the governor that an emergency exists that is considered detrimental to public health or upon declaration of a state of emergency, a local public health authority, with approval of the commissioner, may exercise the following authorities (emphasis added):
- to require the owner or occupier of premises to permit entry into and investigation of the premises;
- to close, direct, and compel the evacuation of, or to decontaminate or cause to be decontaminated any building or facility, and to allow the reopening of the building or facility when the danger has ended;
- to decontaminate or cause to be decontaminated, or to destroy any material;
- to restrict or prohibit assemblages of persons;
- to require a health care facility to provide services or the use of its facility, or to transfer the management and supervision of the health care facility to the department or to a local public health authority;
- to control ingress to and egress from any stricken or threatened public area, and the movement of persons and materials within the area;
- to adopt and enforce measures to provide for the safe disposal of infectious waste and human remains, provided that religious, cultural, family, and individual beliefs of the deceased person shall be followed to the extent possible when disposing of human remains, whenever that may be done without endangering the public health;
- to procure, take immediate possession from any source, store, or distribute any anti-toxins, serums, vaccines, immunizing agents, antibiotics, and other pharmaceutical agents or medical supplies located within the commonwealth as may be necessary to respond to the emergency;
- to require in-state health care providers to assist in the performance of vaccination, treatment, examination, or testing of any individual as a condition of licensure, authorization, or the ability to continue to function as a health care provider in the commonwealth;
- to waive the commonwealth’s licensing requirements for health care professionals with a valid license from another state in the United States or whose professional training would otherwise qualify them for an appropriate professional license in the commonwealth;
- to allow for the dispensing of controlled substance by appropriate personnel consistent with federal statutes as necessary for the prevention or treatment of illness;
- to authorize the chief medical examiner to appoint and prescribe the duties of such emergency assistant medical examiners as may be required for the proper performance of the duties of office;
- to collect specimens and perform tests on any animal, living or deceased;
- to care for any emerging mental health or crisis counseling needs that individuals may exhibit, with the consent of the individuals
State and local agencies responding to the public health emergency would be required to exercise their powers over transportation routes, communication devices, carriers, public utilities, fuels, food, clothing and shelter, according to the legislation.
A blank document from the Iowa Department of Public Health (pdf) has been discovered online, designed to be filled in with the name of an H1N1 virus victim who is required to relocate from his or her home to a quarantine facility. Iowa has also made available forms for voluntary home confinement, home quarantine and home isolation.
Florida – the Florida surgeon general suspended distribution permit requirements Florida statutes to allow wholesale distribution of Tamiflu and Relenza. The state has also distributed a series of blank quarantine order forms, including a voluntary home quarantine agreement, a quarantine to residence order, a quarantine to residence order (non-compliance), a quarantine to facility order, quarantine detention order, quarantine of facility order, building quarantine closure order and area quarantine closure order.
2,000 students at nearby Washington State University have caught swine flu. Another very good reason to just stay home. Swine flu shot linked to killer nerve disease. Expect a HUGE Hegellian Dialect (create ‘problem’, offer ‘solution’) revolving around swine flue / mass hysteria and draconian government intervention (this year).
A “giant” find is being announced by BP of an oil deposit in the Gulf of Mexico. This is a 36 day supply of oil, so don’t be fooled by these claims of “giant”. This is just more media lies and deceptions.
“Useless government, useless government” — a Chinese chant (of all places!) on “syringe attacks”. What’s worth noting is how government (anywhere in the world) really is nearly helpless when things don’t go as planned.
22% increase since 2008 in food stamps. That’s 35,000,000+ Americans on the dole.
There have been some huge, albeit expected developments, on the climate change front. I’ve personally been expecting this revelation for some time now: Scientists cannot keep up with climate change effects. The IPCC data set is woefully out of date and politicians are using the “bare minimums” to make their policy changes (or try to). Unfortunately, the worst-case scenerios are now definitely headed our way.
This is exactly as I predicted would happen. Climate inertia and momentum, once started, would be impossible to stop. New policies by world governements aren’t going to make a lick of difference now. In “A Chilling View Of A Warmer World” scientist are scrambling very hard to keep up with Greenland’s big melt.
This fits right in with this: Artic now warmest in 2000 years. The more sensitive regions of the planet will react first (such as the melting Siberian permafrost, Chilean and Himalayan glaciers and the Antarctic). This will all lead to this: 1.6 billion face food and water shortages, this will only worsen as climate impacts increase. Millions face famine (now) in Ethopia as rains fail.
It’s all very tragic, but I’m a realist, I think it’s all going to get significantly worse.
Very bad news:
“The future is horrific,” says Charlie Veron, an Australian marine biologist who is widely regarded as the world’s foremost expert on coral reefs. “There is no hope of reefs surviving to even mid-century in any form that we now recognize. If, and when, they go, they will take with them about one-third of the world’s marine biodiversity. Then there is a domino effect, as reefs fail so will other ecosystems. This is the path of a mass extinction event, when most life, especially tropical marine life, goes extinct.”
David Obura, another coral heavyweight and head of CORDIO East Africa, a research group in Kenya, is equally pessimistic: “I don’t think reefs have much of a chance. And what’s happening to reefs is a parable of what is going to happen to everything else.”
Meanwhile, governments of the world STILL fail to react sufficiently. This is more then a serious problem, it’s a global catastrophe as in ELE (extinction level event). Political leadership and will is severely lacking due to big business and corporate empire interferance. How can you have Empire when you have nothing left to govern?
It’s really kind of stupid to witness how our government is responding to real life. It’s both pathetic and tragic too. The longer we remain in rank denial, the worse it’s going to be in the days ahead. I’ve long said that an all-out emergency effort is now called for, and a complete abandonment of the pursuit of Empire and all that means.
Americans feel immune (except for the dollar collapse, housing collapse, and multiple financial disasters now here), but we’re not. The ‘land of plenty’ is spiraling ever downward and it is really up to us to do something about securing our own future.
I was recently (today) contacted by a television network in South Korea, who is seeking stories on the “Worst Case Scenarios” of Global Warming. Maybe some countries ARE interested in knowing what we’re preparing for, but I don’t know if it will actually help. We’re not going to change the future outcomes much now, it’s already too late for that.