This is the time of year when bloggers and websites will publish their 2016 Year in Review, Photo essays and other dubious human “achievements” for 2016. I am not going to bother because by and large, it’s all bullshit. Under-reporting our global crisis is not what I do.
I like Climate Central, so this isn’t a slight against their efforts. But it is very, very important that we not get enamored with bogus “achievements” (hopium) that do not accomplish what is claimed. So here are the 10 Most Important Climate Stories of 2016 from Climate Central.
And here are my comments:
The world struck an airline carbon pollution deal
10. Still burning / contributing massive levels of emissions, not just CO₂. Airline flights still going UP.
An extremely potent greenhouse gas is also on its way out
9. Was supposed to be “solved” decades ago. Non-ratified, so non-binding, so not enforced, so still meaningless to date.
July was the hottest month ever recorded. Then August tied it
8. Expected. 2017 will be worse.
Arctic sea ice got weird. Really weird
7. Also expected. 2017 will be worse and may see less the 1 million cubic kilometers (ice free) in 2017.
Divestment and clean energy investments each hit a record
6. Every year will be a “record” for so-called “clean energy” (not, improper term for renewable energy that still requires fossil fuels to build, maintain). There is nothing “clean” about it as it still produces emissions through its entire life-cycle.
The Great Barrier Reef was decimated by warm waters
5. Extend this point to coral world-wide. Rising ocean temperatures and acidification.
The world breached the 1.5°C climate threshold
4. The most unreported story of the century. 100% of the publications continue to claim that we’ve not even achieve 1°C warming yet.
Carbon dioxide hit 400 ppm. Permanently
3. Yep, it’s 400+, but effectively, it’s already 490ppm. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QUoN8unzR0
The Paris Agreement got real
2. The Paris Agreement was never real. It will never be real either. Non-binding, non-effective, too little, too late, goals already exceeded, invalid claims, etc.
It was the hottest year on record. Again
1. Yes. And 2017 will be hotter still. And 2018 will be hotter still. That’s what happens you when settle for ridiculous, non-binding, non-enforceable agreements, delay action for decades, ignore scientists and facts, and keep telling yourselves how much wonderful “progress” your making (not).
Now, for the real headline that you will not see published.
0. We die. Yes, that is what lies ahead. There is no technology to remove the carbon / methane from atmosphere, soil and water. There is nothing we can do to achieve the scale required. There is no intentions by humans and human governments, human businesses and enterprises to stop burning carbon and emitting emissions into the atmosphere. Therefore, CO₂ will go UP, UP and UP, contributing to the rising temperatures as permafrost melts and emits more carbon, methane hydrates dissolve, ice melts globally and even soils and forest and oceans revert from carbon sinks into carbon emitters. That is all already unfolding, globally, to say nothing of rising sea levels, disappearing glaciers and depleted aquifers, etc., etc.
There is no good news. None whatsoever.
That is the “story” that needs to be reported. Just the facts, not the hopium. Refusal to publish the facts is what is causing humans to constantly take the wrong path, do the wrong things and delay actions. This methodology is leading us to our extinction.
Copyright Notice: No portion of this web site, information, articles, books or material may be copied in any form without prior written permission of the publisher. © All Rights Reserved.